John is passionately committed to enhancing the achievement and life chances of children and young people, through school improvement and by supporting the professional development of individuals and organizations.
Having taught for 12 years, latterly as a senior leader, John lead the transformation of ‘APAUSE’ a schools-based sex and relationships education programme from a 2-school research project into an effective multi-agency programme with unique evidence of health benefit and educational improvement. The programme engaged with approximately 200 schools across the UK and overseas and trained teachers to work with health professionals.
John became an independent educational consultant in 2006, and has enjoyed repeat commissions overseas with the British Council and with a range of Local Authorities supporting health and educational improvement across the UK. John has been Regional Advisor for the National PSHE CPD programme and ‘Training Manager’ for the Doncaster Graduate Teacher Programme.
Currently John is an ‘Achievement Coach’ with ‘Achievement for All’; a facilitator for middle leaders through ‘Teaching Leaders; an associate with Osiris Education, and works with ‘Improving Health & Wellbeing UK’ in addition to a range of coaching, training and consultancy roles to support school improvement and the wellbeing of children and young people across the UK and overseas.
- School improvement commissions in Bradford, Barnsley and Hull to improve service delivery, enhance staff confidence and skills and .improve outcomes for children and young people.
- Led on a review of the Healthy Schools provision in Gateshead; written ‘Healthy Schools’ programme for London Borough of Merton and devised a self-review tool for Northamptonshire schools, all of which informed commissioners to improve service delivery and impact.
- Project manager and lead author of an evaluation of the seasonal flu vaccination programme across 87 secondary schools in Lancashire, to provide recommendations to improve service delivery and professional practice.
- Achievement Coach for Achievement for All, regional lead for anti-bullying training.
- Appointed as ‘facilitator’ for ‘Teaching Leaders (Summer 2015).
- Coaching for and of middle leaders
- Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural development
- ‘Talk less teaching’
- Personal, Social, Health Education
- ‘British Values’
- School Improvement through improved staff well-being
- Personal Development, Behaviour & Welfare
Jan Lever, CEO JigsawPSHE:
“John is a most personable and professional consultant. He is committed to improving the well-being, learning and life-chances of children and young people by offering excellent training for teachers and school staff. He is up to date with developments in education and a very experienced and knowledgeable PSHEE leader.
I valued his work as Regional Adviser and National Assessor for the national PSHEE CPD Programme greatly when I was the Lead National Assessor for the Programme, knowing his region would be well-led and brought together by his enthusiasm and well-organised approach”.
Head of PSE / Citizenship / Careers and Health and Social Care at Dawlish Community College
I have known John for more than ten years and during that time have always found him to be a highly committed, enthusiastic and dedicated ambassador to making life better for young people. His enthusiasm is infectious when around him and you get a real sense of what is possible and belief in how, through education young people can lead a more fulfilled life.
John’s continued support for teachers always takes into account the complexities of the profession and he has a true understanding of how the dynamics within education make the teaching of complex subjects difficult. Nevertheless his no-nonsense approach enables people to feel able to deliver such topic areas, that many would normally shy away from.
His interpersonal and communication skills are warm and engaging and he has an ability to put his audience at ease in whatever area he is covering. John is always at the forefront of the latest educational advances and is able to advice people accordingly.
I am delighted to recommend John’s work to all readers.